Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Where to Begin?

Yes, I've decided to jump on the blogging bandwagon. There certainly are a lot of crazy things going on in the world to write about, and my life is crazy enough as the father of three children. Our family lives in Lawrenceville, GA. My wife and I have been married for 20 years - it'll be 21 in December. I have a EE degree from Georgia Tech and an MBA from UGA, but the Jackets are my first love. My wife has a math degree from Agnes Scott College in Decatur, GA, and an Masters of Education from UGA.

I have two daughters who are 16 and 13, and a son who is 8. So, we have the high school, middle school, and elementary school covered for now. My oldest is starting to look at colleges (cha-ching) - maybe I'll get lucky and she'll stay in state, but you gotta follow your heart too.

A couple of things I've learned about raising children (so far):

1) Raising children is not a money-making proposition, unless your child is competing on a national level in something by the time they are 15 (i.e. Tiger Woods). In fact, the older they get, the more expensive they get. One of many reasons not to start your family too early - your kids can easily outpace your income.
2) Raising children is not for the faint of heart. For example, teaching your child how to drive. The last time I was in the car with my 16-year-old daughter and we approached a speed bump, the front of the car bounced off the pavement. I emphatically stated (ok, I yelled) that she needed to go SLOWLY over the bump. She said, "But Dad, I was only going 20!" I told her to try 5 mph next time.

Of course, all of the effort and expense is repaid in love many times over.

I'll post some thoughts here as they come to me and as I have time.

No comments: